How does one improve on a lovely vegetable lasagne? You add chorizo of course. There is nothing in life that isn’t improved by that spicy little sausage. I love it in all it’s paprika spiked glory. Of course you can just leave it out if you are a vegetarian, it’s still delicious. (you are missing out though)
What you need:
(for the roasted vegetables)
- 1 aubergine
- 2 courgettes
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tsp herbes de provence
- 1 tbsp olive oil
(for the chorizo and tomato sauce)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 100g soft cooking chorizo, finely chopped
- A pinch of chilli flakes
- ½ tsp herbes de provence
- 700g tomato passata
- A pinch of sugar
(for the white sauce)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp plain white flour
- 200ml warm milk
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 100g cheddar cheese, grated
(for the lasagne)
- One packet of fresh egg lasagne sheets
- 1 ball of mozzarella
- A few tablespoons of grated parmesan
- Some extra grated cheddar cheese
What you do:
- Slice the aubergine, courgettes and pepper into rounds or strips and toss in a bowl with the oil, herbs and some salt and pepper. Roast in a moderate oven for about 30 minutes, turning halfway.
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Heat the oil in a pan and add in the onion, garlic and chopped chorizo, stirring regularly until the veg is soft and the chorizo is cooked. Next, add the chilli flakes, herbs and tomatoes then season well with salt and pepper and a pinch of sugar. Leave to simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring every now and then until it is thick and richly flavoured.
- To make the white sauce, melt the butter in a pan over a low heat then whisk in the flour to make a smooth paste. Gradually whisk in the milk until you have a thick, creamy, smooth sauce. Season well and add the nutmeg. Off the heat, add the grated cheddar cheese and stir well to melt.
- To assemble, put a tablespoon of the tomato sauce in the bottom of the lasagne dish then top with lasagne sheets. Next, add a layer of roasted vegetables and top with some nuggets of mozzarella and a grating of parmesan before adding a generous layer of the tomato and chorizo sauce. Continue with some more pasta sheets then repeat the vegetables, cheese and sauce layers. Once all is used up, add a final layer of pasta then top with the cheese sauce. Finish with some more grated parmesan, some torn up mozzarella and an extra grating of cheddar cheese.
- Cook at 180°c for around 35-40 minutes, until bubbling and golden.
You only need a lightly dressed green salad alongside this rich, tasty lasagne dish. It’s also lovely cold for lunch the next day!