Sometimes recipes come about as a result of careful planning and consideration. Sometimes they happen almost by accident as you play around with ingredients in the kitchen until something magical happens. Sometimes you see a pineapple on offer in the local shop and hear angels singing to you, pushing you to buy it and create something delicious. That’s what happened here. A pineapple epiphany in the middle of the Co-Op.
What you need:
- 1 pineapple, peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- A shot or two (or five) of Malibu or other booze of your liking
- 2 heaped tablespoons of shop bought salted caramel sauce, or caramel sauce with a pinch of salt added
- Ice cream, to serve
What you do:
- Take your pineapple wedges and roll them in the brown sugar to provide a light coating which will help with the caramelisation of the fruit.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan and cook the pineapple wedges for a couple of minutes on each side until they start to brown and are warmed through. Pour your booze into the pan and allow it to bubble up and reduce for a couple of minutes.
- When the alcohol smell has disappeared add in your salted caramel sauce and coat the pineapples well. Once the fruit is glossy and the sauce is warm, plate up along with some vanilla ice cream and maybe a pinch of salt then tuck in.
I’m slightly embarrassed to call this a recipe as I used a ready made sauce but it was so good that I had to share it. Plus, who doesn’t need a recipe for a quick and easy dessert to turn to in times of greed?